About the tour
Located only half an hour’s drive from Iran’s capital, Tehran, Mt. Damavand is among the world’s most accessible 5000m altitudes, located in a rich and unique cultural milieu.
This majestic dormant stratovolcano – that looks like a bigger replication of Mt. Fujiyama in Japan – is the second highest in Asia and the highest in the Middle East. Covered by clouds most of the time, the snowy white summit of this mountain is one of the most spectacular views in Iran.
On Mt. Damavand’s lower slopes there are hot springs (with some of them located in the village of Larijan).
The volcano’s summit is featured with a crater of about 150–200 m across, covered by pumice stones and sulfurous rocks. The upper slopes and the crater itself are covered with snow in autumn, winter and spring. Climbers may encounter some difficulties (such as cough, throat irritation, running nose, and allergic reactions) due to the sulfuric gas at the altitude of about 5400m.
Damavand’s height allows for amazing views opening from its top to the valleys and mountains stretching hundreds of kilometers around. Particularly it provides great views of the Alborz Mountain Range, the Caspian Sea plain, as well as the deserts of central Iran.
Day 1. Meeting at the airport. Transfer to the hotel.
Day 2. This climb to Damavand begins with a day transfer from the hotel in Tehran to Camp 1, to the “Polur hut”, at an altitude of 2270 m. The rest of the day we will acclimatize (without strong physical exertion or climbing), prepare for the next day and check equipment. “Hut Polur” is part of a large mountain sports resort and is a comfortable hostel with bunk beds, a kitchen, hot water and shower.
Day 3. The day begins by moving by car to Camp 2 “Basic hut” (at an altitude of 3040 m), followed by a 4-6 hour ascent at a slow step to a height of 4250 m, to Camp 3 “New Hut” (“Bargakh Sev”). Overnight in a cozy hostel Camp 3.
Day 4. This day of our tour to climb Damavand is devoted to acclimatization ascents to neighboring heights and preparations for the conquest of the summit the next day. Overnight in the “New hut” Camp 3.
Day 5. An early start – at 5 am – and reaching the peak after about 5-7 hours. Return to Camp 3 late in the evening. Overnight at the New Hut Camp 3.
Day 6. Reserve, descent to Camp 2 after an early breakfast and arrive by car back to Camp 1 in the region of 13 or 14 hours. Return transfer to a hotel in Tehran. The end of our climb to Damavand.
Day 7. Departure.
Price of Damavand climbing expedition includes:
- Services of professional mountain guides (additional guides on the summit day).
- All transfers mentioned in the itinerary.
- All accommodation mentioned in the itinerary – hotels and lodges
- Permits for climbing and National Park fees.
- Meals all through the climbing (prepared by a cook), but only breakfasts when in cities.
- Sightseeing tours mentioned in the itinerary.
- All group equipment.
Price of Damavand climbing expedition does not include:
- International and local flights.
- Personal gear.
- Medical insurance for mountain climbing.
- Lunches and dinners in cities.
- Expenses incurred by any changes to the mentioned itinerary.
- Services of rescuing and evacuation.
- Airplane tickets
- Medical insurance
- Backpack. 30-50l.
- Sleeping bag, comfort temperature from -10C and below.
- Sleeping mattress.
- Trekking poles.
- Ice ax.
Clothes and shoes:
- Trekking boots with the ability to attach crampons.
- Waterproof layer – Jacket + pants. The industry offers a range of products from simple membranes 5000/5000 to products from Gore-Tex.
- Fleece pants and jacket.
- Thermo underwear top + bottom.
- Down jacket.
- Thick gloves.
- Thin gloves.
- Bandana (in addition to sun protection in the valley, it can be used to warm your throat or face in the cold)
- Warm hat.
- Warm trekking socks for climbing day
Flashlight diode on the head:
- Ski goggles
- Thermos – 1l. Better without a button in the lid.
- Windproof mask on the lower part of the face (with some degree of success, you can replace it with a scarf)
- Sunblock and lip balm
- Chemical heating pads (not necessary, but can be very useful)
- Personal fmedical kit
- Knee supports
You may also like…
Ojos del Salado2,800 €
Chimborazo and Cotopaxi
Climb Island peak1,648 €